Are you ready to start working with gold?
This brand new course covers lots of techniques to help you design and make gold and mixed metal rings. Taught by expert jeweller, Hayley Kruger, you will learn how to make:
- Gold band ring made from 9K yellow gold round wire
- Hammered yellow gold ring
- Sterling silver ring with gold nugget embellishment
- Gold tube set faceted stone on a sterling silver ring
This course is for you if you have some experience of working with silver and are ready to learn to add gold to your skills!
What Will You Get?
- Ongoing access to comprehensive video lessons, guiding you through all the techniques, tips and tricks
- Downloadable course notes to work alongside the videos
- Full list of kit and materials you need to create these gorgeous designs
- Access to our supportive community of jewellers and tutors to help you at every stage of the process
- Access to the videos 24/7 - you can stop, pause, rewind and replay as much as you like
- Excellent close-up shots to see what is happening in each step so you don't miss a thing
Hayley is a bench jeweller with over 20 years of experience. She runs her own company making and selling high-end bespoke jewellery.
She has taught at the London Jewellery School for 8 years and also teaches workshops from her own studio. Having been a mentor on the London Jewellery School Diploma for a number of years she is experienced at working with students and has a great capacity to support them on their journey to professional silver and gold jewellery making.
My main focus now is dividing my time between creating bespoke and commissioned pieces for private clients, as well as consulting small jewellery business on ranges, design and production. And of course I love being a tutor for Jewellers Academy and various other organisations and community groups.
Believing in myself and pushing myself to learn and grow even when the hurdles seem so high. As a result I was invited to show my work at the Victoria and Albert Museum, I have been published in Vogue, Stylist and Marie Claire to name a few. And I was invited to be an ambassador for Triumph Lingerie's Women in Making campaigns 2013 and 2014.
Colour is my main source of inspiration, and no matter how hard I try to use muted colours, a flash of bright fuchsia or some tropical hue always seems to find is way into my work. Recently I have found myself drawn back to my roots by being drawn to traditional techniques and skills.
Hayley's website: www.hayleykruger.com
This course is suitable for jewellers who have experience of working with sheet silver metal and are competent at soldering and basic stone setting.
If you are new to working with silver but would like to give it a try take a look at our beginners course The Silver Jewellery Workshop, the Soldering Masterclass and Stone Setting in Silver first. You will need some experience of tube and cabochon stone setting to make these pieces.
We look forward to welcoming you on the course and seeing your new creations soon
- Silver jewellery tool kit including bench peg, saw, needle files, steel block, chasing hammer (for hammered designs)
- Soldering equipment including torch, soldering block, pickle, steel block, third hand
- Stone setting - stone setting burr the same size as your stone, pin vice handle, square pusher, curved or straight burnisher
Note: These are the sizes that Hayley used in the video but the same instructions can be used for other thicknesses of wire from 1mm upwards. The length of wire you require for your projects will depend on your ring size. The course notes include a chart to help calculate how much you may need.
Project 1: 9 carat yellow gold wire, 1.5mm thick
Project 2: 9 carat yellow gold wire, 1.5mm thick
Project 3: 1.5 mm thick sterling silver wire
approx 20mm 9 carat rose gold wire (any offcuts of gold will do. You could also use gold casting grain)
Project 4: 2mm thick sterling silver wire
9 carat yellow gold tube (Hayley used 3.5mm diameter tube approx 8mm depth)
3mm round brilliant cut gemstone
For all projects - silver solder - medium and hard
9 carat gold solder - medium and hard
To source your tools and materials, take a look at our list of worldwide jewellery suppliers https://www.jewellersacademy.com/jewellery-supplie...
Do you need different tools for working with gold?
No, you can use the same tools as you use for working with silver