Learn how to stone-set in this comprehensive beginner-intermediate level course.
Stone setting is a wonderful technique for jewellers to learn that enables you to add colourful semi-precious or even precious gemstones to your metalwork.
Our experienced tutor Rebecca Steiner, will guide you through how to make three key settings from start to finish:
1. Set a Cabochon Stone: by creating the bezel to fit the stone, soldering it on to a piece, creating a design, setting the stone and finishing the piece.
2. A Tube Set Stone: set a faceted gemstone into a piece of silver tube. This project is perfect for rings and pendants as well as unique designs of your own.
3. A Flush or Gypsy Setting: set a faceted gemstone straight into the silver to create a neat, flat setting. A beautiful technique for showing off the stone, for pendants, earrings, bangles and rings alike.
All of these techniques take time and practice and in this in-depth video course we have six lessons to guide you through the process which you can re-watch as many times as you like to perfect the skills and master the techniques
If you love gemstones or want to add a new dimension to your work this is the perfect course to take your collections and skills to the next level.
What Will You Get?
- Lifetime access to 6 comprehensive video lessons, guiding you through all the techniques, tips and tricks to perfecting your stone setting
- Downloadable course notes to work alongside the videos
- Access to our supportive community of jewellers and tutors to help you at every stage of the process
- Access to the videos 24/7 - you can stop, pause, rewind and replay as much as you like
- Excellent close-up shots to see what is happening in each step so you don't miss a thing
What Techniques are covered?
- Choosing your stones, what to look out for when buying stones for stone setting
- Creating a bezel and soldering a setting for a cabochon (flat backed stone)
- Creating a design around your stone setting and working that into a piece
- Setting the stones using basic stone setting hand tools
- Preparing and measuring out a tube setting
- Drilling space for your stones
- Setting a tube setting
- Preparing a piece for a gypsy setting
- Setting a gypsy setting
- Soldering for stone setting
- Troubleshooting common mistakes in stone setting
- Top tips for jewellers new to stone setting
- And much more!
Rebecca is a jewellery designer, maker & tutor. She has her own company, Rebecca Steiner Fine Jewellery which has been running since 2006. Her work has been showcased in Vogue and Harper's Bazaar magazines, has won awards from the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths, and has been exhibited in Paris, Amsterdam, Sweden and in Australia, as well as all around the UK. She is also a professional jewellery tutor with her own 'Mobile Jewellery Workshop'
StartHow to Use This Course
StartCourse Notes: Stone Setting in Silver
StartLesson 1: Introduction and Selecting Your Stones (8:28)
StartLesson 2: Cabochon Setting, Making the Bezel (21:35)
StartLesson 3: Cabochon Setting, Soldering the Base and Ring (14:52)
StartLesson 4: Cabochon Setting, Setting the Stone (7:07)
StartLesson 5: Flush & Gypsy Stone Setting (16:53)
StartLesson 6: Tube Stone Setting (12:37)
StartLesson 7: Troubleshooting, Hints and Tips (3:37)
StartFeedback: How Was Your Course
This course is suitable for jewellers who know the basics of soldering and piercing metal. if you are new to silversmithing we would recommend taking the 'Silver Jewellery Workshop' and ideally the 'Soldering Masterclass' first, in order to make the most of this course. It is suitable for those new to stone setting as well as anyone who has done some setting and would like to further their skills and knowledge.
We look forward to welcoming you on the course and seeing your new creations soon
Student Work ..
This piece was made by Jemma Buddle using this course
Enrol today and get started making your own masterpieces...