Learn how to add beautiful colour to your jewellery designs with our new Beginners and Intermediate Enamelling online course!
In this course, experienced enamel jeweller Michelle Leaver will take you through different ways to add enamel, wire elements and gold foil to your jewellery designs.
These techniques will really open up your jewellery design and making possibilities.
What Techniques are covered?
- Dry sifting enamel technique
- Wet packing enamel technique
- Using transparent enamels to show the texture of the metal underneath
- Adding decorative wire elements to your designs
- Preparing your enamel for wet packing
- How to fire your enamel - dos and don'ts
Dry sifting enamel
Wet packing enamel
Build on the skills you learned on the Beginners Enamelling to add complexity to your designs.
On this intermediate level course you will learn:
- The ronde-bosse technique - enamelling a rounded surface including rings and domed pieces
- How to prepare a ring for enamelling
- How to add foil accents to your enamel designs - gold, silver or copper foil
- Adding wire accents
- How to use clear flux enamel to 'set' your accents
Learn how to enamel a ring using the ronde-bosse technique
Learn how to add foil and wire accents to your designs
Michelle Leaver is a professional Jeweller who has successfully run her own business designing and making jewellery for over 25 years. She studied design at the London College of Fashion before specialising in Silversmithing and Enamelling at the London Guildhall University (now known as the London Metropolitan and formally known as Sir John Cass.)
She specalises in silversmithing, enamel and jewellery business support and is a regular and popular teacher here at Jewellers Academy.
Start1. Introduction & Tools (8:01)
Start2. Dry Sifted Enamel Project (9:45)
Start3. Firing Your Enamel (6:48)
Start4. Adding Wire Elements (4:49)
Start5. Cleaning & Polishing your Enamelled Pieces (7:19)
Start6. Wet Packing Enamels (Part 1) (16:59)
Start7. Wet Packing Enamels (Part 2) (8:24)
What experience do I need?
No experience of enamelling is needed to take this course.
This course can be taken by beginners to silver jewellery. You can buy copper and silver blanks to enamel on to. However, to make the most of the course it is recommended that you have some experience of sawing, filing and soldering your own designs.
If you don't then don't worry! Take The Silver Jewellery Workshop which will help you make the most of this enamelling course.
What tools do I need?
You will need the following tools & materials in order to complete the course:
- Kiln (A kiln guide and advice on where to buy kilns is supplied in the course notes)
- Kiln shelf/floor mat (which needs to fit in the kiln)
- Stainless steel firing stilts
- Stainless steel woven wire mesh rack
- Firing fork
- Distilled water
- Kitchen towel
- Large mortar & pestle (approx 4" wide)
- Glass brush
- Cooling tile
- Solder probe
- Pallet knife
- Fairy liquid
- A4 sheets of clean paper
- Small funnel
- Diagrit (fine) - plus plastic ruler or old credit card to stick it onto
- Purified water/deionised water
- 2 sieves (approx 1" in diameter)
- Bowl of water
- Carborundum stone
- Bowl for excess water & cleaning units
- Shallow dishes for enamel
- Small paint brush
- Goose quill
- Stanley knife
- Small safety back file
- Needle files
- Large half round file
- Emery papers: 500, 800, 1000 and 2000
- Polishing cream (& cloth)
- Pendant motor & radial discs
- Flat nosed pliers
- Tin snips
- Enamelling solder (to be used on any pieces to be enamelled)
- 0.3mm round fine silver wire
- Gold foil for enamelling - not the same as leaf (try https://vitrumsignum.com)
- Enamel - Green: SOJE 189 & Deep Blue SOJE 26 (from Vitrum Signum)
- Enamel - Turquoise 431 Transparent (from Cooksongold)
- Flux powder - transparent (from Vitrum Signum)
- Klyr Fire Gum Solution
- 1.2mm thick Sterling Silver sheet
- Jump rings
- Earring hooks
To source your tools and materials, take a look at our list of worldwide jewellery suppliers https://www.jewellersacademy.com/jewellery-supplie...
This course includes:
- 10 Bite-sized video lessons
- A complete set of downloadable course notes
- Tools and materials list
- Support in the Jewellers Academy Facebook group
Join our community of jewellery makers and get excellent training and support for your learning. Sign up to a course today :-)