Silver Jewellery Making for Absolute Beginners FREE course
Get started making silver jewellery including the tools to use, how to make a stacking ring and bar necklace.
Hello and welcome!
Have you ever wanted to make silver jewellery from home but just don't know where to start?
If so then this course was made for you. I take you through the basics including ...
1. The tools and materials jewellers use to make silver jewellery and how to get set-up ready to make for yourself at home
2. Then we start making with a great beginners project, a silver stacked ring
3. Finally we make a pendant together in the form of a silver bar necklace
By the end of the course you will be able to go away and make some professional silver pieces (with practice) from home and if you want to start or grow a jewellery business this is a great way to get going!
Here are some examples of what you could make (please note stone setting isn't covered in this course but we do have a free course for that too! Take them together to make the stone set ring pictured).
Hi I'm Jessica, a jewellery designer-maker and the Founder of Jewellers Academy and of the award-winning London Jewellery School. I am the best selling author of 'Start and Grow a Profitable Jewellery Business'
I am extremely passionate about jewellery making and spend most of my time supporting jewellers to run their own successful jewellery businesses. I am here to help you in any way I can with your jewellery making and look forward to learning more about you and your creations.
I would love to connect with you on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jewellersacademy/
Let's Get Making!
Tools and Materials
Note: not everything on this list is necessary to get started with silver jewellery making. Watch the tutorials through first and make a note of what you need for the project you want to make first. You can always build up your collection of tools!
- Jewellers saw/piercing saw
- Saw blades - 2.0 or 3.0
- Beeswax (to lubricate saw blade)
- Hand file - half round/D shaped and a handle (cut 2)
- Pin vice drill and drill bits e.g. 0.6mm 0.8mm, 1mm
- Steel block
- Hammers and mallet - rawhide mallet, ball pein
- hammer, texturing hammers
- Centre punch
- Ring mandrel
- Ring sizer
- Needle file set
- Set of jewellers pliers - flat, round, D-shaped, chain/snipe nosed and cutters
- Emery sticks
- Sandpaper/wet and dry/emery paper
- Brass brush
- Reverse action tweezers
- Firing brick
- Heatproof mat
- Flux e.g. borax cone and dish
- Small paintbrush
- Jewellers butane torch
- Universal gas lighter refill
- Heatproof bowl of water
- Solder probe
- Solder - hard
- Tin snips
- Steel tweezers
- Safety pickle
- Brass or plastic tweezers
- Safety goggles
Stacking Rings Project
- Sterling silver beaded wire, 1.5mm
Silver Bar Necklace
- 8mm x 10cm sheet of sterling silver, 0.8mm or 1mm thick
- Sterling silver chain
- Sterling silver jump rings (5mm used in this project or 4mm)
- Sterling silver clasp
To help get you started, we have a list of worldwide suppliers of tools and materials here
Sign up below to get started making straight away and if you have any questions or need any support in your making do come and join us over on the Jewellers Academy Facebook Group at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/jewellersacademy/
And if you enjoy our courses and would like to grow and learn more as a jeweller in business then become a member to get access to all of our online courses 24/7 - Find out about membership here
For a list of recommended jewellery tool & material suppliers visit this resource: https://www.jewellersacademy.com/jewellery-supplie...
See some beautiful pieces made using this course.
Rings made by (left to right) Jo Rickatson and Catherine Sheppard
Enrol today for free and make your own silver jewellery.